Apple iPhoto Library is a great service that enables users to sync and back-up their videos and photos to easily access the same across several devices like iPhone, iPad & Mac. It’s always recommended to back-up your photos and important documents to recover them in case of data loss or system file corruption. It’s always better to keep the data secure than saying sorry.
Here is how to back-up iCloud Photo Library on your device:
Backing Up iCloud Photo Library to Mac’s Hard Drive
One of the quickest ways to back up your video and images in iCloud Photo Library is to ensure that you download all your entire content to Mac.
Here are the steps to back up your iCloud Photo Library to Mac’s Hard Drive:
- At the start, open the Photos app on your Mac.
- Then, hit the Photos tab located in the App menu. This option is situated at the top left edge of your device’s screen.
- Now, press the Preferences tab using the pull-drop menu.
- Hit the iCloud option there.
- Tap on “Download Originals to the Mac” option.
- Now, your Mac computer will download complete resolution copies of all your image files to Mac’s hard drive, stored inside the Photos app Library. It depends on the size and data of the image files & other contents located in the iCloud Photo Library. Keep patience. It will take some time to proceed with your command.
Backing Up iCloud Photo Library Contents to External Drive
There are several ways to back up your iCloud Photo Library to the external drive. You can back-up your image files either manually or automatically. You may export a particular section of your library if you don’t desire to back up the entire thing.
Back-Up Photos Library Manually
In case you have turned on the Download Originals option for your image files or Photo Library but don’t desire to back it up automatically, then you can easily copy your Photos Library manually to the external drive regularly.
Here are the easy to use steps for backing up Photos Libraries Manually:
- First, you need to connect your external drive to Mac using USB-C, USB, or Thunderbolt.
- Then, launch the new Finder window on your Mac.
- Hit the Pictures option from the sidebar.
Note: If the Pictures are not available in the sidebar in advance, drag the Pictures folder using your Macintosh HD using the sidebar section.
- Drag the Image Library to the External drive.
- Wait for some time to make a copy of the same.
Back up Photos Library Automatically
You can easily back-up your Photos or videos through automatic mode using the Time Machine or online clones services such as BackBlaze or Carbon Copy. In automatic mode, all your files, be it video and photos, will be automatically downloaded from iCloud storage. In this case, your Photos Library will also back up automatically.
Backing Up Specific Sections of iCloud Photo Library
In case you like to back up your entire library. You can easily export your important photos and videos to the external drive. Here’s how to do the same:
- Firstly, connect the external drive to Mac using USB-C, USB, or Thunderbolt.
- Now, launch the Photos app on your device.
- Choose the particular video or photo you like to back up.
- Reach to the File menu there.
- Now, go to the Export section and tap on the same.
- After that, you can choose one from two different options:
- Export # Photos or Video
- Export Unmodified Original for # Photos or Videos
- Choose the particular option for File Name and Subfolder Format.
- Then, enter the appropriate text into the required field.
- Hit the Export tab there.
- Select your external drive and then hit the Export Originals option there.
Note: You can also create an online back-up of your iCloud Photo Library.
Taking back-up of all the important files and folders is good, significantly to save your data from being lost. iCloud back-up is very popular for iOS devices, but if you have several image files and videos that you don’t want to lose in any circumstances, then you have the option to back them up. In that case, you can use manual or automatic mode to back-up your entire Photo Library so that you can easily access the same on any device.